Mother in law suite

I have a property I will be scanning next week that features a mother in law (or granny) suite that is separate from the house itself. It is in the back yard and the client wants it all in one tour where you can walk outside and into the mother in law room. How can I do this? I’m used to matterport where it basically wasn’t an option. Any tips on how to do it would be great!

Also, how would we get that added as a floor plan also? Do I just add another floor and scan it?

Thanks for all the help. I tried searching but didn’t find anything!

Also, how would we get that added as a floor plan also? Do I just add another floor and scan it?

Yep. Onsite create a new “floor”, and later in Stitch you can reorganize things however you want.

To keep things organized, you could show the MIL suite as a separate building. Or you could have everything on a single “floor”.

Awesome! For the tour would Iguide be able to put it all together into one tour? Do you know of one or have an example I could see? It sounds great though thank you for the reply!

For the tour would Iguide be able to put it all together into one tour?

Yes.

Do you know of one or have an example I could see?

Have a look at iGUIDE 3D Tour for Cattle View Ranch. I shot multiple buildings that are presented in a single iGuide. Viewers can jump between the buildings like they do between floors.

I also set up individual views for each building so the client could display each building separately on their website. e.g. https://bearcreekcabins.ca/accommodation/the-mustang-cabin/.

1 Like

That’s impressive Leroy! I was wondering how this was done. However, I understand making each cabin it’s own “floor”, but how do you break out the tour into separate entities like that? Do you have to submit each cabin as a new iGuide for processing?

However, I understand making each cabin it’s own “floor”, but how do you break out the tour into separate entities like that?

Once an iGuide is complete, you can create multiple “views” for a single iGuide. When you first create an iGuide you’re essentially creating the default view. But you can then create other views and control floors, panos, and other details for those other views.

In the example above, it’s one iGuide with the main, default view, plus views for each building in which that building was visible and all the other buildings were disabled.

See How to Use Public & Unlisted iGUIDE Views : Support Desk.

It pretty simple once you try it.

Do you have to submit each cabin as a new iGuide for processing?

Nope. It’s a single iGuide (with a single cost to you) with multiple ways of presenting the same data and visuals.

That’s great! I’ve only done one so far, and I find that tutorial information is a little scattered about the site in master classes, support desk page, video links and so on. So thanks this is great information!

I think a screenshot will help.

Note the main, default view, plus the additional views for each building.

One iGuide, multiple views. Simple and powerful.

I find that tutorial information is a little scattered about the site in master classes, support desk page, video links and so on.

Yep, agreed. I’ve been thinking that I could create iGuide training for operators, but I’m not sure how much demand there would be – or if I’d have the time for that.

2 Likes

How do you navigate to a different cabin without having to go to the bottom and select a different building?

This is one I did for a college to highlight different programs in different locations. It is not intuitive for an inexperienced viewer to know to go to the floor selector at the bottom. There should be an easier way to navigate between building from within the tour ideally.

How do you navigate to a different cabin without having to go to the bottom and select a different building?

That’s how a viewer has to do it for the default view.

This is one I did for a college to highlight different programs in different locations. It is not intuitive for an inexperienced viewer to know to go to the floor selector at the bottom.

Doesn’t the initial help that you can enable for new viewers cover that? (I don’t know. I haven’t checked.)

There should be an easier way to navigate between building from within the tour ideally.

What would you suggest?

That’s pretty cool Leroy. I understand now how you use “floors” for each cabin, but how do you have real floors within a cabin - looks like a multi-level list.

I am not sure of a way to navigate from within the tour to another. Maybe the UI for the map could be changed so it is more prominent and the button is labeled See Additional Spaces. This could then be floors or another building or whatever. Just a thought.

The best and most intuitiv is to use a drone bird-eyes shot where you see all the buildings and iGUIDE would build in the possibility that you could place the first halo/hotspot of a building on the relevant structure like you can do in 3D Vista! I deal a lot with large farms with different structures and find that it is not very intuitive that you can only move from building to building through the dropdown menu!

I like that idea, but have never tried it. How do you get back to the aerial view to select another building once you are in the tour. Is there a guide to how to incorporate the overview??

In 3D Vista you create an exit hotspot to get back to the bird-eyes shot! It exists and is doable if enough operators would ask for it I guess!?

I did this one but had to a combination of 3D Vista and 2 iGUIDES: Las Carcavas, Rocha

I understand now how you use “floors” for each cabin, but how do you have real floors within a cabin - looks like a multi-level list.

You can’t do it onsite in Survey (which is why I shoot different buildings as separate floors), but in Stitch you can create multiple buildings, each of which can have multiple floors. So shoot as floors onsite, and later use Stitch to create separate buildings and floors.

For instance, the A-frame cabin in the example I posted above is a separate building with two floors.

Each time I’ve loaded up your example it’s been very slow to go from the bird’s eye view to zoom in. Is it just slow on my machine or am I missing something?

Thanks now I understand.