Insurance for operators (Ontario, Canada)

I’m just getting my business started and realize I need better insurance (I have photographer’s insurance). iGUIDE says: “We strongly recommend getting a liability insurance and also advise adding to the policy equipment coverage and errors and omissions insurance.” The policy equipment coverage and general liability doesn’t seem to be a problem but I’ve had two companies who offer photographer’s insurance not be able to provide the errors & omissions (which, I believe is under professional liability insurance). Has anyone found a broker in Canada who will cover this specifically? Thanks!!!

I have mine through Professional Photographers of America…Great organization to belong to… I would check with them…under PPA.com

1 Like

Try Zensurance, they are canadian and offer a full package for the industry

2 Likes

I am just starting up as well in Alberta. Any recommendations would be appreciated as I too am having difficulty getting the E&O insurance. Photography and business insurance is not the problem it is the RMS measurements that seem to be misunderstood by brokers.

1 Like

Exactly the problem I’m having : )

Definitely going to give them a call, thanks!

I went through the process of educating Zensurance about iGuides last year. It was a grueling, time-consuming process, but they know all about it now.

That’s who I’m using.

2 Likes

Thank you for doing that! I just submitted a request for a quote. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks Jason and Leroy. I will contact them as well. Cheers

1 Like

I have just finished speaking with a Senior commercial Broker who is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He does a lot of work for professional photographers that specialize in realty / real estate, (stills, video, interactive floor plans, drone, iGuide technology and laser measurements)

His contact information is 647-478-5352 stephen.scott@hubinternational.com

4 Likes

Thank you for passing on this information!

I use Smith Petrie - https://www.spcs-ins.com/

$2k year !! Is that inline with what others are paying for E&OE (NOT general business insurance - just measurement liability)

1 Like

Just an FYI, I was all set to get a policy with Zensurance but was just informed “that they would only be looking to provide cover for the photography services and that iguide is outside of their scope.” I am not sure if this just relates specifically to my application or if there is a misunderstanding about what they cover. If you are with them, it might be prudent to double-check that you have the coverage you think you have.

In my case it is most definitely covered by Zensurance. They didn’t know about iGuide until I spent a couple of weeks going back and forth answering their questions about it so they understood how it works.

I would push the issue with them because they do cover it. I wonder if you spoke to an agent that wasn’t thorough?

1 Like

Leroy would you happen to have any images you can provide us to then send to them if they’re having issues accepting us?

Audrey,

thank you for the info about PPA.com I am still very new to the photography field but will bookmark this for later when I am ready to make this more than just a hobby.

Also in Ontario and having the same challenges! Would love it if you have any suggestions or guidance with the insurance options available. I was quoted almost 2500/year with Zensurance.
-MR

I was quoted nearly 2500$/yr with Zensurance. Would you be willing to share what coverage options you went with? Getting started, that price tag seems quite high. I’m in Ontario, Canada.

This insurance isn’t cheap, but unlike other companies that won’t cover iGuide operations, Zensurance does. For the type of work that we do, that’s crucial for peace of mind and to provide a professional service to our clients.

As an aside, I’m growing increasingly unhappy with the level of Zensurance customer service. Every renewal is a frustrating experience.

I belong to the Professional Photographers of Canada and we get great deals for our services through Front Row Insurance and Harvard Western. I haven’t had any issues with coverage so I would suggest checking them out.