How much are you charging

While i completely agree with your inquiry in ti’s naturally curious form, you should consider reviewing the laws concerning what might be considered (in the US) “Price Fixing” to avoid the serious penalties that come with the accusations.

Just wanted you to know that your post may potentially be considered as evidence.

This comes from someone that had to battle that accusation previously, I hope it helps.

#BeCareful the waters are full of #sharks

There is no law that prevents you from reviewing the pricing of your competition to determine the value of your services, but there is specific US laws against the act of conspiring to price your services in concert with the parameters of other providers.

Note: if you fix your price as much as $0.01 below your competition, you are not “Price fixing”.

Be sure to consider the TOTAL TIME INVESTED (from ding to dong) of each project SIZE.

Determine the amount of time it will take from the reception of your work order to the delivery along with its associated costs (Round-Trip travel, Preprocess & Post-process time) along with business related expenses (meal costs + insurance + license + website + storage & subscription costs) and decide what those are worth to you. Then calculate a profit that will benefit your desired lifestyle.

Those are your prices.

(this is a “Price Fix Free” reply…

1 Like

Price is extremely relative to where you live. My friend who lived in another city mentioned to his dad whos a (Realtor) what i charge for photos,iguide,drone. And his dad laughed and said yeah i pay some guy 75$ to come take photos. Sure that guys probably only there for 20 mins with mininal editing and no drone or iguide.

But I don’t even show up for 75$

I also think this is very wrong that someone who’s going to make a large commission on a sale cant showcase their property to it full potential. If i was a buyer in the same city or not id like to get a really good idea of what im buying. This is my pitch to realtor’s who don’t want to spend money. Its a reflection on their image and their past listings are essentially their portfolio.

There’s always going to be someone who charges less, but playing that game is a race to the bottom. My recommendations are up your value in other ways. Offer more services that take little time, have incredible customer support. There’s much more to this than price.

Hi, so how do you get their business in remodeling? I’m in Charleston and housing market is through the roof.

Hey guys, I’m a real estate photographer just starting out with iGuide, I’m wondering, with the discussion in here on rates where people are talking about charging a certain rate up to 2500sq ft then .09 or .10 per square foot after that, are you including the iGuide rate in that as well? I’m wondering because their base rate ends at 1500sq ft, so if you’re doing a 2400sq ft home, you pay more to iGuide but are you passing that along to your client? or is it all built in and you eat whatever it is up to that 2500sq ft mark?

I have steps from 1500, 2500, 3500, etc. All in packages. Every package I have starts with photos, floorplans and iGUIDE.

2 Likes

Do you have an a example I could view? I just want to make sure I would be giving fair value…thank you

Hi Ken, I’ve been asked to capture a 27,000 sq ft school and I’m not sure how to bill such a large space.
I was thinking 1.5-2x the drafting costs, did your pricing listed above include the cost of drafting? It doesn’t seem like there would be much to take home.

Thanks
Geoff

How much did you end up charging?

I charge a flat rate up to 2200 sq feet then a per sq foot rate over and above.

This is an old thread but it appears to be getting life again. I’ve recently updated my pricing for real estate to $175 plus 10c/sf. I’m in WA and I always do Premium. I used to do it on ranges of SF but often got burned when clients wanted to add unfinished spaces or unattached garages.

Rates should be based on the market you’re in. What I would charge in the SF bay area isn’t what someone else should charge in Monowi, NE

Tom Sparks Scan Your Space (a Division of Sparks Media Group) Founder and CEO Tom Sparks |
www.ScanYourSpace.com | www.SparksMediaGroup.com | Sparks Media Group Youtube Channel

What ARE the rates in Monowi, NE? Asking for a friend…

I suppose since they have a population of 1 the rates could be whatever anyone wanted to set them at.

:smile:

Tom Sparks Scan Your Space (a Division of Sparks Media Group) Founder and CEO Tom Sparks |
www.ScanYourSpace.com | www.SparksMediaGroup.com | Sparks Media Group Youtube Channel

May not be on topic here. . . Looking for advice - found an agent using my photos from a previous listing. My agents all sign a copyright notice that I retain ownership and they are not permitted to transfer the rights to use them to other agents. How have you handled this in the past? Will MLS remove them if I complain to them?

Contact the agent first and tell them they did not pay for the usage of the photos and that you would be willing to go shoot the house at your standard rate. If they refuse, contact a copyright attorney. (I assume your images weren’t registered with the feds? ← this just limits the amount you could recover.

In my case, I confronted the new agent about his unauthorized use of the photos. He countered that his client paid for the photos and give him permission to use them - and he was not about to pay me again for them. This was of course not the case - the previous agent paid for them, and I produced a copy of the Copyright Agreement the agent had to accept when he downloaded them. I contacted Realtor.ca (MLS) through the website contact form, and within a half hour they had removed the photos (at 8pm no less). The old agent also replied to my enquiry and he offered to contact the agent as well, stating he would be subject to fines from MLS for using the photos. Now it’s just a matter of how much time and energy I want to spend chasing every other place the photos are now being used such as the agent’s website, ZOLO.ca etc.

Screenshot every place they are being used. You want documentation. Then contact a copyright attorney. You’ve got a pretty big payday coming if you do this right (assuming you don’t want that agent as a future client). But if he’s ok with breaking copyright after being confronted with it, he sounds like a guy I wouldn’t want to do business with.

I’ve seen 5 figure settlements in favor of photogs who had their content used without authorization. And the liability goes up with every individual use.

Figure Planix bills you 3 cents a sf for drafting. Charge that minimally to cover your cost, then add your preferred billing on top of that.

I charge 10 cents a sf in Oregon.