Best Tripod and quick mount

New to IGuide. Any best ideas for tripod and quick release mounts? I know that IGuide has some recommendations but want to make sure I ask the group before making a purchase. Thanks!

I’m using manfrotto with their quick release plate (not arca) and it works pretty well. Been using that system forever. That said, I had to remove one of the feet on my planix to accommodate the thumb release. Works well though! Hope this helps you some.

I use the same Gitzo tripod that I shoot my still photographs. I have an arca Swiss plate permanently attached to the Planix. It’s a quick twist of a knob to attach it to or remove it from the tripod.

I would suggest not removing the feet of the Planix. I recall seeing it mentioned in here that it voids the warranty.

I use a K&F Concept, light and quick to open and fold up.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have a few tripods for my Matterport cameras. Maybe buy another quick release and attempt the Manfrotto tripods I have already.

1 Like

Here is another tripod for your consideration.

4DKanKan Pro Tripod

The tripod is specifically designed for the Chinese made 4DKanKan VR camera which has some impressive specs but the tripod should also work with any other VR camera.

What I like about this tripod is that it locks into a wheeled base that provides it with more stability and makes it easy to glide the VR camera across the floor.

On a side note I am extremely impressed with the features of the 4DKanKan pro camera and VR Tour software, however from a security standpoint I do not like that all VR Tours from the 4dkankan camera must be processed by servers hosted in China.

I use a Manfrotto 055, a leveling head, and a arca swiss quick release.
Below is a link to the leveling head. I don’t need a ball head or any other kind. Then I use the level in the camera.

Leveling head

I am using something totally different. A cheetah light stand. It does the trick

Another trick you can use if the 3d camera is light enough is to use a $75 Mic stand with a thread adapter for a camera mount.

Ideally the the mic stand should have a metal base that is around 7 to 10 lbs. This setup works nicely because the base provides good stability and with a single pole you can easily hide it all under a smaller nadir patch

1 Like

I’m using an old Velbon tripod from the 70’s. Love it. Benro geared head.

Using the manfrotto quick release. Works great. Removed one leg on my planix. Maybe I still have 75% warranty? :man_shrugging:t2:

Great idea

I use the cheetah light stand for photography. It is super easy to move and stays level. the legs collapse when you lift it and spread when you place it at the new location. https://www.adorama.com/ltcsc8.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJDpxwLCC5AHD7SgKV6v2UJXmynBO_3dMHHZvjIgT9QMg7Lb-pgDAmBoCgG8QAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjw77WVBhBuEiwAJ-YoJDpxwLCC5AHD7SgKV6v2UJXmynBO_3dMHHZvjIgT9QMg7Lb-pgDAmBoCgG8QAvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

2 Likes

I am currently using a Manfrotto MT190XPRO3 tripod with a maximum height of 160cm, but I’m looking for a taller tripod with a smaller footprint if there is one available. I’m curious to know what tripods other photographers use, and what the maximum height of their tripod is.

I see that a light stand is taller and can hold the weight of the Planix camera. Can it be fitted with a ball head?

Manfrotto are the best tripods ever

Hi Timeless. What are you using to mount the Planix to the light stand please? Thanks.

That is an awesome tripod,

Hello. I’m guessing this works because you are able to use a ball head of some sort with this tripod? Which one are you using to mount the Planix? Thanks in advance. This looks perfect!

I use the Oben CT-3565 Carbon Fiber Tripod and BZ-217T Triple-Action Ball Head. I also use the Oben QRA-A2 Quick Release Assembly with QR-10 Plate on my BUSHMAN Panoramic HALO 360 LED Light. When needed the light is installed under the Planix.

i bought the Benro Mach3 3 Series Aluminum Tripod (TMA37AL) and the Benro GD3WH 3-Way Geared Head, Black

absolutely the best purchase I made for my setup once your muscle memory kicks in with the dials its a game changer