Why Not a Geared Head?

I just purchased the Planix. Wondering why a geared head is not usable. Is it the size of the geared head that gets in the way? Ball heads are so hard to get to the right angle.

I’ve tried my ims-5 with the Benro GD3WH geared head and it shows up in the panos because the nobs stick out too far, even though it is relatively small head. If anyone has found a geared head that is small enough I want to know. Ball heads suck

1 Like

Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate

I use a Manfrotto MK055XPRO3-BHQ2 Aluminum Tripod with XPRO Ball Head and 200PL QR Plate with the IMS-5 camera. It’s very light, extremely sturdy and easy to use. Same goes for the ball head. I occasionally will have to use one screw to adjust the center the camera level. The great thing about the tripod, is you only have to drop the bottom legs to get the perfect height (IMHO) of 48" to center of the lens. In one of the images you can see that the circumference of the head is the same or smaller than the tripod when closed. At the end of each shoot, off comes the camera and into the case, and then the tripod is folded and dropped and strapped into the rack.

I have always used the same tripod for photography (only carbon fiber) and have broken two of them at the hinges on the legs. I am going to switch to the aluminum one as it is much sturdier AND no carbon fiber dust from where and tear.

1 Like

My new set-up is a Manfrotto 055 Carbon with a Leofoto hybrid geared head. LOVE IT. Got the whole rig gently used for less than $500 CDN. Yay Marketplace. The head is $530 Cdn. Use the ball portion to get close to level, then fine-adjust with gears. Nice and compact.

1 Like