Settings on the DSLR

I have not yet seen more elaboration regarding the DSLR settings in the training videos other than adjusting the light exposure. I’m wondering do I just leave the camera in M mode? Is there more training out there that I am missing? Do I use any of the other settings?

I always leave the camera in Manual and adjust the exposure as required. Nothing more to it.

Is the ISO fixed to 200?

I haven’t seen a reason to change it from 200 ISO.

1 Like

Thanks Leroy. I appreciate your feedback. It does seem easy enough to adjust exposure when in Stitch.

I’ve never changed the ISO and would normally leave it at 200.

1 Like

Two things:

1. Onsite, I change the camera’s shutter speed to dial in exposure as accurately as possible.
  2. Later in Stitch, I adjust the brightness levels, but this step is usually just slight tweaking.

Let the camera exposure in #1 do the heavy lifting.

1 Like
  1. The mode dial must be in M or Survey will complain.
  2. ISO is best left at 200 to reduce pepper noise. Survey even resets it to 200 on each reboot as far as I remember.
  3. White balance is best left on Auto, Stitch will take care of balancing WB across the 3 fisheyes.
  4. Shutter speed is best left on AutoExp in Survey in most cases. It adds 2-5 secs to the first fisheye, but is still faster than manual adjustment on the DSLR using the wheel while watching LiveView on LCD.
  5. All other settings on the DSLR should be left at our factory defaults, they are shown in the last pages of the PDF manual in case you changed them.
  6. Do not enable WiFi in the DSLR menus as that will disable its USB connection and Survey will not see the DSLR.

#3 and #4 are were introduced couple years ago, so people who learned to use the camera in manual mode long before that might still prefer what they are used to.

2 Likes

This is great information. Will follow process for the future. Thank you!

Shutter speed is best left on AutoExp in Survey in most cases. It adds 2-5 secs to the first fisheye, but is still faster than manual adjustment on the DSLR using the wheel while watching LiveView on LCD.

#3 and #4 are were introduced couple years ago, so people who learned to use the camera in manual mode long before that might still prefer what they are used to.

I’ll have to try AutoExp again. Thanks Alex.

1 Like

Would it be possible to set the exposure meter at 0 automatically and leave the screen on LiveView all the time?

I just did a survey at a Cathedral and I was astonished at how well the camera dealt with very difficult lighting conditions. I left all camera settings in factory default positions, ISO 200 and white balance and shutter speed in auto. The only negative was that sometimes the exposures did feel long but the results were worth it.

Are you able to share that link? I’d be curious to see the results.

How did you set the shutter speed in Auto?

How do set the shutter speed to Auto in Manual?

The camera is set to manual. The survey tab has the camera controls for auto white balance and auto exposure (shutter speed).

The iGUIDE is in drafting at the moment. I will add the link when it is ready.

Just FYI - although I shot the images during daytime the day was overcast and there were major differences in illumination throughout the space and in general to the human eye the space looked dim and in places like the stairwells quite dark. The HDR did a great job evening out the exposure to cater for the shadow and light areas.

I see. That means if you have set AutoExp in the survey tab, it will override the exposure meter in the camera and automatically produce a 0 exposure?

Thanks Kevin.