Replacement USB cable?

Has anyone replaced the Mini-B USB cable for an IMS-5? I need to replace the existing cable because it’s damaged from several years of use.

I’ve checked Amazon.ca for a right-angle cable of the same length as the original but I’m not finding one.

Thanks.

Leroy,

Not sure if this helps. My IMS-5’s laser stopped working. After some diagnostics with Planitar we realized it needed repair. Come to find out the wires were exposed (probably from a ton of use). I sent it back to Planitar and they replaced the entire DSLR and wires. Total cost was $392 for a brand new DLSR and $90 for shipping back to me. The shipping to Planitar was $440 as I shipped via insured UPS Expedited Air. So I’m into it for $900 total. I personally think that is a decent investment to keep my original $3500 investment running for another couple of years.

I purchased two of the IMS-6 as backups for our IMS-5’s but haven’t really broke them out as we are comfortable with the IMS-5’s.

Hi Todd,

So I’m into it for $900 total. I personally think that is a decent investment to keep my original $3500 investment running for another couple of years.

That’s definitely a good investment to keep the camera going.

With this IMS-5, everything is still working well. But a couple of years ago I bumped the right-angle connector on the USB cable and it’s been loosening more over time to the point where this week the cable connector came undone. I’ve been using a 3-foot replacement cable but it snags on the tripod knobs when rotating the camera, so I’d like to find a short replacement like the original cable instead.

I do have a second IMS-5 and looked at using that USB cable, but it’s braided under the camera bracket so I can’t swap it without doing disassembly that I’d rather not do. I also have an IMS-6 but, like you, I’m happy with the IMS-5 workflow and results so that’s what I’ve continued using.

I opened a support ticket about this but I thought I’d ask here as well.

You can get custom cables here.

https://www.infinitecables.com/usb/custom-usb-cables/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrOOXvLib9wIVxJJbCh1-cw21EAAYAiAAEgJVGvD_BwE

Thanks. I’ll have a look.

I’m also her prefer custom usb cables.

I ended up ordering this cable from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Spiral-Coiled-Mini-B-Charger-Connector/dp/B071VT65RY.

I would have preferred a right-angle connector for the Mini-B end but it was easy to thread between the camera and the bracket and it’s been working well.

Thanks everyone.

BSHTU Mini USB Cable Spiral Coiled USB 2.0- also seems prety good

That one you bought looks pretty good. A couple years ago I bought these and they worked until I switched to the Planix.

I looked at those but wasn’t sure if it was long enough and whether the end that plugs into the iGuide would clear the lip. The one I ordered is working well and I bought a second one as a backup.