Please Planitar, I beg you for ceiling heights on floor plans....

I hope this message finds you well.

I’m reaching out to address a significant concern that has consistently emerged from client feedback and my own experiences in the field. Our current process lacks an efficient method for recording and integrating ceiling height data into our floorplans, which is a critical feature for our clients involved in real estate and construction.

At present, the survey app only allows for the input of exterior wall measurements, which necessitates the cumbersome process of using external applications or relying on memory for ceiling heights. This gap in functionality becomes increasingly apparent and frustrating when managing multiple properties daily.

Our workflow currently involves a manual input of “recalled” ceiling height when we’re back at home in the Stitch program on our computers, but the resultant floorplans lack ceiling height information, which is not only a bottleneck but also detracts from the accuracy and completeness of our service. I then need to use expensive monthly subscriptions to professional PDF Splitter programs where I can edit these floor plans to tailor the necessary needs for my clients, such as inputting Ceiling Height under neath the Finished Square Footage on the Stacked Floorplans for each Level, as an example.

The absence of ceiling height details has been historically justified by measurement standards and the complexities arising from vaulted ceilings. However, given that we take responsibility for precise external measurements, it stands to reason that we should extend our manual control to include ceiling heights.

In light of these challenges and the unequivocal demand from our clients, I propose the following immediate actions:

1. Integrate an option within the survey app to record ceiling height alongside exterior wall thickness. This feature should be straightforward and intuitive.
  2. Implement a feature that allows for the inclusion of ceiling height data during the upload process, similar to how we handle exterior measurements. This will enable the drafting team to reflect ceiling heights accurately on the floorplans.
  3. Enhance the customization of floorplan presentations to avoid clutter and improve aesthetic quality, including the ability to move icons such as the pencil icon for better visual management.

These changes are not merely for convenience; they are essential for meeting the requirements of the MLS and municipal building departments. Our clients, who are realtors and construction managers, have unanimously expressed that ceiling height information is not just a preference but a necessity.

I am confident that with these updates, we can significantly improve our service delivery, streamline our workflow, and meet our clients’ needs more effectively. I trust in our team’s ability to innovate and adapt to these industry demands, and I look forward to the positive impact these enhancements will have.

Thank you for considering this request. I am eager to discuss this further and assist in any way necessary to facilitate these improvements.

Warm regards,

2 Likes

I have to second that!
I’ve purchased the system solely for construction use and CAD file integration to save time plotting on site. It seems, now I have to double check all measurements and do far the system hasn’t produced any time or cost savings.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, Planitar previously included ceiling heights (before my time 3.5 years ago.) Currently my local MLS asks for basement ceiling height, and so I physically measure it on-site and name the floor “Basement (7ft 11in)” in order for that information to flow through to the final measurement documents. I measure the most common / highest ceiling height in finished spaces, but sometimes I’m picking that number out of 3 or four possible heights.

The challenge is that the laser runs horizontally to accurately capture wall-to-wall measurements, so any ceiling height measurements need to be triangulated, introducing degrees of error. Plus many homes have multiple ceiling heights so calculating all of these adds to the complexity and displaying ceiling heights in a comprehensible way could make the floorplan look very messy.

If/when iGUIDE incorporates more of a point-cloud 3-dimensional scanning, ceiling heights will become easier to assure, and then they’ll have to figure-out how to succinctly convey the gathered data. For real estate listings every once in a while I’ll use the measurement tool to calculate the maximum ceiling height in a vaulted room, and I should probably carry a laser to physically measure it and pass along that info to the listing agent for their write-up.

That’s my understanding and I’ve had 1 inquiry for every 2-300 iGUIDEs about why ceiling heights are not included.

Hi Todd,

Thank you for your detailed explanation on how the Planix system operates. I realize that my initial message was quite lengthy, and it’s possible that the key point I wanted to convey may have been buried within it. To clarify, my intention isn’t to change or challenge the measurement capabilities of the Planix system itself. I know how the Planix operates and functions.

I’ve been manually measuring ceiling heights and was wondering if there’s a possibility for us to input these figures directly into the floor plans for our client presentations. This is a feature that my clients have shown great interest in, and it would be immensely helpful to incorporate it into our current process. Your clients are actually also my colleagues, as I am a REALTOR on Vancouver Island.

Your expertise is always appreciated, and I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Just FYI, I’m operating IMS-5 cameras, but I’m pretty sure there’s no difference in the technical approach of the Planix. Adding the ceiling height to the room labels is an excellent way to incorporate that information, but requires extra steps.

This is part of a bigger conversation. How much information is economical and optimal to motivate an interested party to book a showing with the highest chance of converting to a sale? We can photoshop the crap out of every photo, we can do videos, agent walk-throughs, fly-throughs, reels, aerials, 3D Tours, staging, virtual staging, virtual decluttering, property sites, and provide every measurement from every angle. Then there are some agents who for years have been putting crappy cel-phone photos (not all agent photos are bad, but some are really bad) and filling-in the blanks on MLS and are in the “business of marketing homes.” Not sure where the road ends. It’s a changing landscape and having more media than just photos is effective and using more marketing vehicles than just MLS seems prudent.

I can see your point that it’d be nice to have it with all the other measurables on the ‘pdf’… But you can accomplish adding a ceiling height with “Add New Label” in the editor. If you add a note in stitch you might even be able to get the drafter to add it for you. Personally, I’d rather add my own, so I can more it where I want.

I respect and generally understand. I recognize that iGuide can not be all things to all people, no manufacturer can. They clearly handle 95% or so of what I choose to do. Yes, at the moment there is no vertical lidar reading.

Ceilings are a general number and when it needs to be somewhat exact, I have a Leica DISTO X3 that I place on the floor and aim up. Done. Also, for other backup measurements when needed too.

This is my variable solution (and very easy to do) until iGuide may choose to add another feature or create a new deliverable product. Right now - we have the current product and it is actually pretty good. Hope this helps. Just generally contributing an idea.

The Planix has the capability to scan vertically, provided your tripod head allows you to tilt the unit into a horizontal position. You can then scan vaulted ceilings, door and window openings, staircases. The data can be captured, just not sure how Planitar can use it and include it in an iGUIDE report or show it on floor plans. It would mean additional time for drafters, so I can’t see Planitar adding it as part of the regular or premium floor plans. It would also add a lot of time to scanning a home - you would want to scan the rooms at the end (switching back and forth from vertical to horizontal, room to room, would be a pain to re-level the camera every time). You would create a new floor labelled Verticals, and then in stitch rename each vertical to the room name to help the drafters identify each scan.

Hi Tom,
Serious scenario/question to think about:

Drafter is creating a floor plan. They have to create a house that is 1499 square feet. It has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

We pay for premium so they can spend more time on the photos looking to see where the toilets and fixtures are. They spend approximately 45 minutes on the floor plans (hypothetical) to create the entire project.

Are you telling me it would be an unnecessary strain on the drafters, after they’ve just gone through all 135 panorama images over 45 minutes… drawing toilets and fixtures in…that it would take too much time for them to write “Ceiling Height 8’4” underneath the “Finished Square Footage” on the PDF?

Again, serious question. I only ask because this can easily be implemented by simple software, and since Planitar implements AI for processing floorplans I think it’s a pretty small ask for a ceiling height on a PDF.

I never asked for vertical measuring.

Agreed it would be a benefit. I shouldn’t try to speak for Plantar on this. I might get a chance to chat about this over the next couple of days with Chris or Michael.