is iGuide up to BOMA standards?

I had a client ask me today if iGuide was up to BOMA standards? I don’t know much about this but he was asking before booking me to scan a commercial space.
Does anyone know?

Yes, iGUIDE complies with BOMA standards. I don’t know what those standards are, but they do speak to the accuracy of iGUIDE measurements.

The Lidar system used by iGuide meets or exceeds both the RECA RMS 2017 and ANSI Z765 2021 standards as explained in the link below.

This is the info I needed, Thank you!
tom

For a multi-tenanted commercial building, the iGUIDE system certainly complies with how measurements are obtained, but if a client is expecting to receive information according to BOMA on the total area per each commercial tenant, the iGUIDE report does not provide this information. Individual room areas? absolutely. Total lease areas? nope. It is my understanding that BOMA allows for dividing walls between commercial spaces to have the measurements of these walls shared per each commercial tenant, and the iGUIDE report cannot in its current capacity align with BOMA. Be careful how you sell your services to a client if they are expecting BOMA deliverables.

I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS CURRENT SITUATION WITH A CLIENT, A CLIENT I HAVE NOW LOST UNFORTUNATELY ALONG WITH HER MANY REFERRALS. SINCE I BEGAN AT IGUIDE I WAS TAUGHT WE MEET ALL 4 STANDARDS OF MEASUREMENT INCLUDING BOMA STANDARDS, HOWEVER THIS IS NOT THE CASE!. PLEASE READ BELOW DIRECT FROM EVAN AND THE PRODUCT SUPPORT TEAM AND PLEASE LETS GET THE CORRECT INFORMATION OUT TO OUR OPERATORS!

Dear Candice…

It would not be correct to say iGUIDE complies with BOMA standards, so this Forum user may be misinformed or has misspoken. Please note, as before, the Measurement Standards currently supported are RECA RMS 2017, and ANSI Z765 2021.

More Information About the Standards

1. RECA RMS 2017: Residential Measurement Standard | RECA
  2. ANSI Z765 2021: 2020 Review and Update ANSI Z765 Square Footage Calculation Method | Home Innovation Research Labs

Sincerely,

Evan, Product Support Team Lead

A apologize if I repeated some older information I believe came from our friends at Planitar.

BOMA standards specify how a space needs to be split among several different classes of usage, such as tenant area, common area, etc. The square footage included into each of those space classes may include partial footprint of walls bounding that space (either to interior surface of a wall, to exterior surface, or to centerline - depending on space class). In addition, the floor area needs to be measured not just to wall-floor intersection, but to a glass pane of windows (this may depend on whether a window height is more than 50% of ceiling height - not sure if BOMA uses that, but other standards, such as the family of IPMS standards, use that rule).

BOMA is meant to produce leasable square footage which would be used for tenant billing. A floorplate can be split into leasable units and common space in a great many ways. However, iGUIDE DXF files can be used with CAD software to draw leasable areas and compute their square footage (including extending floor area approximately to glass pane in windows) by someone who knows BOMA rules and how a particular space will be split into rentable units.

Because of all of the above considerations, Planitar cannot provide leasable space reporting to BOMA standards, but iGUIDE DXF floor plans provide a good starting point to produce a BOMA analysis. Accuracy of square footage measured off iGUIDE floor plans meets or exceeds the max 2% error requirement of the BOMA standards (extending floor area to glass panes may result in changes much smaller than 2% in a number of cases).

3 Likes