Inquiry About Using iGuide Planix Pro Without iGuide Services and Converting Data to DWG

Hello,

I am a civil engineer working in the field of surveying, proficient in programs like Revit and AutoCAD. I have a project involving an existing building with a total area of 50,000 square meters, and I am considering purchasing the iGuide Planix Pro for this purpose.

However, when reviewing the prices of iGuide services, I find them to be quite expensive compared to the local market rates. I would like to know if it’s possible to process the images captured by the Planix device myself and convert them into DWG files.

Could you please provide information on the types of files I can get using the Stitch software? Also, what steps are necessary to convert these files into a format compatible with AutoCAD?

Am I required to use iGuide services if I purchase this device, or can I manage the data independently?

Lastly, is there a way I could get sample output files from the device to test and see if it would meet my project needs before purchasing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Realistically that would never be a possible scenario.
The Theta Z1 on its own sells for $1300. Planitar adds a lidar scanner, computer casing and carrying case for a little more than double that, so they are not making a huge profit on the hardware. They make their money by selling discounted hardware that uses their proprietary software which then gets processed through their company. I would venture a guess that if you had to actually pay for the development costs etc you would be paying $15-20,000 for the system.

I uploaded a pdf of the folder structure, which shows some of the file types. If you would like, I can send you the raw files from an old project so you can get a feel for working with the structure. Just send me an email at precisionvisualsonline@gmail.com if you’re interested.

My guess is that the final TAR file from stitch is probably structured in a proprietary way for their system to use.

iGuide Folder Structure.pdf (282.3 KB)

Hi Mouad

Good morning from Planitar; thank you for your questions.

50,000m^2 is a big lift (538Ksqft), sounds like a great project, I’d love to help and offer some suggestions prior to capture. I’ve answered your questions below, but feel free to email me if you need further clarity.

However, when reviewing the prices of iGuide services, I find them to be quite expensive compared to the local market rates. I would like to know if it’s possible to process the images captured by the Planix device myself and convert them into DWG files.
[Rob]: Yes, we have a product called iGUIDE RADIX that allows you to upload the property, get it assembled into an iGUIDE, and download the DXF POINTS in an aligned (metric) format. Many people ask “Why do I have to upload”? The reality is that we have to assemble the images in the aligned positions and ‘host’ it on the portal so you can Draft with the aid of the visuals (side by side). It’s a very common practice amongst our Architecture/Construction Remodeler customers.

Could you please provide information on the types of files I can get using the Stitch software? Also, what steps are necessary to convert these files into a format compatible with AutoCAD?
[Rob]: There is no output from Stitch, other than the compiled TAR file for uploading. Stitch is an organization/visualization and communication tool used before uploading.

Am I required to use iGuide services if I purchase this device, or can I manage the data independently?
[Rob]: The answer is Yes & No. 1) Yes you have to upload the property so we can assemble/align/host & 2) No, you can draft the CAD data on your own from the RADIX Points. There is a small charge based on this processing fee for the Radix files ($5.00 USD for every 75 scan positions). The number of scan positions required on such a property is complicated to guess, because it entirely depends on the geometry (open warehouse vs cubicles). For additional clarity, this means you’re drafting the property in a CAD package for your own consumption/deployment, not drafting the property for the Navigation Map in the iGUIDE. The property would appear in the iGUIDE without room labels, walls, windows etc.

Lastly, is there a way I could get sample output files from the device to test and see if it would meet my project needs before purchasing?
[Rob]: Of course! Email me (see below) and I’ll send you samples.

I hope this helps.

Rob Johnston (rjohnston@planitar.com)
Director