I updated my Ricoh Theta Z1 firmware - I'll let you know the results tomorrow

So after seeing my camera was on firmware version 1.60. I decided to update it to the latest firmware because it says in the change log there’s bug fixes etc. So I’m currently on version 2.00.

I did a couple test shots tonight and I see a bit of a difference in the quality of the photo. However… I’ll see it in real world application on my next shoot tomorrow.

I’m not sure if anyone else has tackled this on their planix with the Ricoh Theta Z1, but I figured it was worth a shot for a possibility of photo improvement.

Cheers… until tomorrow!

I don’t remember the firmware version, but there was an update released for the Planix a few months ago that updated the HDR formula to make it more like the IMS-5. In short, improving the image quality. That might be what you’re noticing.

I love the updated HDR options, but MAN does it slow down scan speed in a house. Significantly. Timed it yesterday and was taking 12.5 seconds per scan from button to final theta ring. I hope they have something in the works to update the software so that the LiDAR scan and exposures can be taken faster. The improved image quality is huge and IMO worth the extra time, but then the iGuide loses a selling point on Matterport… time saver.

I’ve had the latest planix firmware and seen no difference. I did a before and after with the ricoh firmware while sitting in my office.

Is that from the planix update or the ricoh firmware?

The Planix firmware is what allows various HDR options because it is an iGuide feature. My Ricoh was already on firmware 2.0 when I bought my system, so I couldn’t say what a firmware update to that would do.

I am scanning some commercial department stores right now and have noticed that with appropriate lighting, the Ricoh external HDR is more that sufficient for that because of the solid lighting. But in many of my residential houses, the windows are blown out drastically with the Ricoh external HDR setting. But they are somewhat transparent in the -5/+2 and -3/+3 iGuide HDR’s (haven’t tried the other HDR setting yet).

Just making sure - you have to go into settings in the interface and change to the new options, it doesn’t automatically become the new default.