Canon 5D MK ii or Canon RP?

Hey Everyone. Kind of a side question but sort of related. I want to get a new to me main camera for my stills. I can’t decide between the 5D Mark ii or the RP. The 5D is used but from what I have found a pretty good camera. But then there is the RP.

Any thoughts? I have the needed lenses already so now it’s decided which body to get.

Thanks all

Dezi

Hi,
Good choices. Good homework. Notice what you are shooting, and ”what you want to shoot”. Make the investment for “where you are going”.

For my range of creativity, I shifted into Canon mirrorless R series in late 2020. I also leverage my inventory of EF Canon L Series lenses with the EF-EOS to R adaptor. I like the dynamic range & processing. I create content w my Canon that is both still and video production via sliders & DJI Ronin. The R series for me was – “where” I am going as an investment at the time. I wanted the tool that will get me there. You will make a good investment decision. – Matt @ Swafford Imaging.

A word of caution - the RP is a different lens mount than the 5D. There is an adaptor you can get. For that reason I went with the 6D as an extra camera to add to my 5DMKiii. Just felt the extension was adding another thing that can fail or affect image quality. I have 6 EF Lenses.

Another observation - the 5Ds are great cameras - have every version except MKiv - but one of the big reasons I went with the 6D was the LCD screen. I’m old and have a bad back, and when you are shooting at the 4ft level for most of your shots, bending down to see the screen or look through the view finder is a challenge – especially when often you are trying to back up against a wall. For that reason alone I would steer away from the 5D - get one with a touch screen for focus and exposure control and that can tilt in many directions. Your back will thank you.

Mirrorless all day, if your not shooting action sports or wildlife you cant go wrong with it.

DLSR versus mirrorless? It doesn’t matter. An experienced photographer will get similar results using either. But there are convenience and longevity factors to consider.

A few thoughts:

• 5D Mark II is a capable body but it’s old technology.
  • For around the same price you could buy a Canon 6D which is newer with better image quality and works great for real estate photography.
  • For a little more, the 5D Mark III is better overall than either.
  • RP could also be good, but unless you’re using RF-mount lenses, you’ll need an adapter to use the rest of the Canon lens lineup. The adapter works great and does not affect image quality.

If you’re looking to save money to get started, look for second hand gear. In my area there are lots of second-hand for-sale groups on Facebook for just photography.

Thanks… My lenses are EF-S so i would have to get an adapter if I went the RP route… And you say it doesn’t affect quality?

I agree with Leroy that good results can be had from pretty much any recent vintage gear. I started with my old Nikon D3300, upgraded to a used D7200 (both crop-sensor) and have always rocked a used Tokina 11-20. I perch them upon a used Manfrotto 055 Magfibre tripod with a used Leofoto hybrid geared/ball head. One of my two IMS-5s is used as well. I averaged over $10k/month last year in my first full year with used gear, and am seeing big increases so far this year. The main reason I’ll upgrade later this year is to get better video capabilities and to take advantage of buying with pretax profits.

Don’t think gear will make the difference. You need to be the difference. How you cater to your clients, how you treat homeowners and renters and how committed you are to delivering great results will determine how your reputation will grow. Do this well, and you can treat yourself to Z9 or R3.

My humble opinion.

1 Like

EF-S lenses won’t work with full-frame bodies.

Canon DSLR crop sensor: EF-S mount
Canon DLSR full frame: EF mount
Canon mirrorless: RF mount

The adapter is EF-to-RF. If you switch to full frame or mirrorless, you’ll need to buy new lenses.

100% this.

So I guess the lenses are for crop sensor only… I can stick with a crop sensor body still, but which one would be good to use? Right now I have a 30D but it is the only body I have and I would really like to upgrade and keep the 30D as a backup…

Any ideas?

I think you can use the EF or the EF-S with the adapter, unless I’m reading something wrong.

I believe you are correct… I found the adapter for the lenses as well.

Thinking the RP, adapter and my lenses… This way I could shoot video down the road when needed…

1 Like

I think its smart to plan ahead, especially in this industry. If you always just upgrade small you’re always going to be outgrowing things. Might suck upgrading to a full frame and lens right away but that lens and camera will carry on for a long time.

But I agree you dont need high end equipment to deliver good results you just may be limited to what you can offer. Ex. Photo and video from the same camera. I shoot real estate video with my iphone 12 pro max and it looks great.

Interesting. I didn’t realize that it also works for EF-S lenses.

But without knowing the budget and wider context, I’d still suggest that a full-frame body with lenses designed for full-frame will give the best results.

1 Like

Well I went with the Canon RP… So far so good,… I really like how easy and fast it performs. I will be shooting my first property next week both photos and iGuide… Wish me luck… I did a test iGuide of my office and it seemed to go pretty smooth… I will know better once I see the tour…

The software said I was using and old firmware so I did the update today (March 18th, 2022). Hope no problems. I may try another test shoot over the weekend to see how it goes…

Thanks again everyone for your help!

The link below has a really good review of the Canon RP camera and it looks like this might be my go to camera as its significantly cheaper while still taking great pictures. I mean it’s not like I am going to be doing a wedding shoot where you only have one chance at getting the absolute best picture possible.

I also like the fact that this is their lightest weight full body camera (about 1.07 lbs / 485g) and at $999 this will be a good way for me to get my feet wet without breaking the bank.

For comparison the EOS R Body is $2,500 and it weighs about 1.63 lbs or 738g

Question for the camera experts on here. Which one or two Canon RF lenses should I focus on buying first for general indoor photos and should I invest in getting the RF 35mm F1.8 Macro lens ?

Unless your an architecture photographer I wouldn’t recommend anything longer than the 15-35. This focal length is really all you need for real estate. You can get great shots from across the street at 35mm. And the 2.8 aperture of the 15-35 will give you a similar vibe to the 35m macro anyways.

IMO a macro lens for real estate would have a very specific use case (detail shots). I have a 50mm art lens that only goes on my camera once and a while for front exterior shots. But it usually sits on my shelf at home.

I shoot a crop-sensor Nikon (D7200) with a Tokina 11-20mm which is equivalent to 16-30mm in the RF world. I’ve got a second camera fitted with a 35mm f1.8 lens (equivalent to 52mm in full-frame) for shooting close-up detail shots and tack-sharp exterior photos from across the street.