Assistance with lighting for Planix Pro

I use the Planix Pro to do 360 scans of fire scenes in varying types of buildings. More often then not, its very dark and the windows are boarded up. To remediate this problem, Ive been using a [https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCL074-All-Purpose-Light-Tool/dp/B07JNL7FN2](https://Dewalt Light) that works fairly well. Ill put it under the tripod, but it tends to make the ceiling very bright and the lower level or floor dark. Additionally, if there is debris on the ground, that will cast big shadows. Sometimes I can hang a light from the ceiling, but there could also be no roof or place to hang a light.

I was curious if there is a way to attach a light to the neck of the tripod just under the camera. the will cast light 360 and help spread it evenly.
[tripod]((https://

Tripod
))

I’ve attached to LED light panels with s-hooks under the Planix and it works extremely well.

3 Likes

That’s clever.

Except the Sakic jersey. Cheers from Edmonton. :grin:

1 Like

That’s clever! Would that work well in a dark burnt out room?
What lights are those? How long do they last on a charge?

I like this very much! LED does change the game concerning tools available. No gels needed, just dial in the apx color temp needed, and be 1/2 to 1 stop below the key f-stop… and many times you can have a light affect that is unmatched.

Congrats on applying LED into VR360 - guess you don’t need a sandbag on that tripod… very positive idea.

im by no means a photography guy, but do I need to set the F-Stop? I was just gonna leave it turned on and take the scans.

Sorry for the late response. (too busy celebrating)
Cheers from Colorado… 2022 Stanley Cup Champs… :wink:

1 Like

Cheers from Colorado… 2022 Stanley Cup Champs

Touché. :disappointed_relieved: :smile:

check this out if you need light in very dark spaces

congrats
I can’t wait to see MacKinnon, Makar, maybe Kadri and Toews playing for team Canada at the next Olympics

Very cool, thank you for sharing this. I can see using this to reduce latitude in a shot with bright windows.

~Jjs

Thank you indeed. Just placed an order for the Halo 360 from the US. Interested to see how long shipping will take these days. I was in the process of rigging up LED panels, but this is a much cleaner solution.

So this looks to be about $195 usd, how much for shipping and to where?

Please post when you get the light so we can all know what it took to get it. I’d also like to know about your experience with it once you test it out with Planix.

I have a Luma cube LED light that’s about the size of an iPhone. I think I could get another and rig it similarly to the way firecop did his above. Halo is a really elegant solution though.

~Jsj

I will report back. I currently have the Luma panels and 4 - 10" LED panels with replaceable batteries but panels are really more of a fixed lighting setup solution.

Here is what it looks like attached.

1 Like

I haven’t ever used it so I can’t say what the difference is. I am charging the light and will upload pics with it on.

Excellent! How long did it take to receive yours?

That’s exactly how I envisioned it would look attached the the Planix. I’m curious to know if the light mounted that low will work OK for most purposes.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

~Jsj

There are 5-different brightness levels.

1 Like

Here are the instructions supplied by the manufacturer. If you are going to be using this everyday for multiple jobs then I would suggest getting several of them Although they are made of metal and seem fairly sturdy, I wonder how much use they can handle. You will have to attach it to your quick release plate and then screw into the bottom of the Planix. It is too easy to over tighten at that point. Best advised to carry the unit at the tripod head as I can see damage occurring between the Halo light and the Planix body. If you are using the light (on) for an extended period it will get hot, see instructions.

Lastly, I have used two of the IMS-5 units for the last several years and am very happy with them. I purchased two of the Planix-Pro units as back-ups. The one thing I like about the IMS-5 is that I can adjust the exposure on the camera should we not have enough light at a location. Not sure you can do that with Planix.

Halo Light -1.pdf (509.4 KB)
Halo Light -2.pdf (333.7 KB)

Her are the instructions in PDF.