10 inch smart phone (Amazon Fire HD)

OK I don’t really have a smart phone with a 10 inch screen, but I did want a display larger than my smart phone for iGUIDE generation but on a budget. I am currently testing a 10 inch Amazon Fire tablet. The trick with this is that it does not support Google Chrome without work. It has been a bit of a challenge but it is now working. The appeal is that I will have a $150 10" touch-screen HD tablet which gives much more space for viewing images and adjusting scans. I’ll update as I make progress if anyone is interested.

I’ve always used a 7.9" iPad Mini for shooting iGuides. I bought a rubber case that protects it, which also came with a comfortable lanyard so it can hang from my neck when I need to keep both hands free. And it fits nicely into the IMS-5 case. There are lots of second-hand iPad Minis available and even an older iPad Mini would suffice, since it just needs to run a browser. (Chrome runs just fine on it.)

One time I tried using my 12.9" iPad Pro for a shoot, but that was awkward because of the size. The Mini hit the sweet spot for me.

1 Like

I was going for the non-Apple budget :wink:

I use a cheap Samsung tablet I bought used about 3 years ago. The system surprisingly does not require much of a pad. It’s a cheap enough tablet that if I drop it or knock it off a piece of furniture or a ledge I’m not going to cry and just will fire up my phone to finish the job

I was going for the non-Apple budget

Gotcha. Overall, I’m not a fan of Apple products, but I do like their tablets. Things work without issue.

I use a Microsoft surface pro and it works fantastic. Also have the added advantage of having stitch installed on it. Add the 4GLTE to it and I am sending the data for processing before I ever leave the shoot.

Good topic - so most of you prefer a dedicated tablet rather than using your phones?

Agreed on the lanyard, that’s a lifesaver.

Upgraded my phone last year to get a larger screen for use with the Survey app - Samsung A70, no issues to date but am interested in upgrading to a tablet of some sort.

Leroy made a great point about the 8 inch device. If I had purchased one of these the budget would have been about $50!

200%. For me it’s a matter of speed/convenience/accuracy.

I started out with a dedicated 10 inch iPad I got from MicroCenter for about $240. I wanted a dedicated iPad because I want employees to be able to use this and not access my personal iPad.

I also started out with this stand (also from MicroCenter). It can be great a lot of the time, but gets cumbersome when you’re in tight spaces. The stand was about $60 and I’m sure I’ll find other uses for it. (initially it was intended as a terminal for a Photo Booth business)

I found myself doing a lot of walking back to the iPad when I could have simply been standing behind the camera.

So now I’m trying one of those iPad holders and I’m using it like a BlackRapid camera strap, where the iPad hangs by my side when I’m not using it.

When I first started to use the iPad holder like a classic camera strap (hanging around my neck) if I went to move something, the iPad would swing out in front of me and bang into what ever I was trying to move.

I’m near sighted, so it’s easy to see the iPad without glasses and I like the ease of looking at a 10 inch screen. For now I’m happy with the new setup.

1 Like

I am using a shockproof case with strap and hand grip
https://www.amazon.com/BRAECN-Shockproof-Protective-Rotating-Generation/dp/B07TB5QX5N/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=carry+bag+with+strap+for+amazon+fire+10&qid=1587050560&s=amazon-devices&sr=1-7-catcorr

Kevin, that’s the same one I migrated to, after I retired my stand. Do you use it hanging by your side or let it hang in front of you?
I liked having the iPad out of that case because it fit nicely into the iGuide case. So it was very compact. But on the other hand, now I don’t have to lug the stand with me, so its a better trade off.

1 Like

I have it over my shoulder so that I can prop it in front of me.

Here’s what my setup looks like. I keep my iPad Mini hanging from the lanyard around my neck.

Everything fits nicely in the foam slot. Nice and simple.

1 Like

Thanks for the pics Leroy! It really convinced me that I need the same set up.

You’re welcome. I’ve found it very helpful to keep your hands free to reposition your camera or move objects.

Cheers.